Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Let's Give 'Em a First Book.

I've spoken from the heart on this matter, but it's worth repeating:

~ I LOVE READING WITH MY CHILD! ~

In fact, it's some of our best time.  But I know I'm fortunate!  For one, I have the resources to buy books for my child.

Countless ones, at that.

This brings me to my point...

Many parents out there don't have this same opportunity.  To take it a step further, many children don't even own a book.  Not one!


This saddens me greatly, and I want to help.  So, I finally am!

After doing a little research online, I contacted the caring folks at First Book and asked how I could help?  I mean, I don't have a million dollars to donate to the cause, or even a thousand really, but I care about the initiative.

Read the impact of First Book here.  It's amazing!

As a side note, it's frustrating to think of all the bright little minds that go undeveloped, the dreams that cease to come true based on circumstance, or better yet, money.

In this life, I want to do my part.  If you'd like to join me, YOU CAN!

How to support First Book locally (in South Carolina):

  • Make a charitable donation here.  For each $10 raised, five books are locally dispersed.  
  • To keep funds (and books) in the SC area, remember to select Horry County in the drop-down menu.
  • Contact SC First Book chairperson Mona Prufer here and ask how you can assist in getting underprivileged children the books they so desperately need.
  • Purchase a $20 ticket to the upcoming fundraiser event featuring local author Mary Alice Monroe here.  Your ticket proceeds will provide 10 books to local kids.

How to support First Book nationally:

  • Contact First Book here and ask how you can help.
  • Make a charitable donation here.

I hope you'll consider what I've written, and put your philanthropic powers to good use.  Let's get our kiddos reading their own books.

Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

5 comments:

  1. what a lovely thought! I'm glad you did this! I always say, I want to do something, but then I don't get around to it. NICE!
    stacey
    http://wearnailpolish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good cause!! I am a teacher and it is clear to see the social difference in those who read with family and those who don't. Well done for doing something so positive!!

    Just stopping by from mid week mingle!
    Missy
    http://takeallchances.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for First Book!! :)

    I've been on the board with First Book of Horry County (Myrtle Beach) for the past two years now and they're truly as great as you've described!!

    I also work for Barnes & Noble where we have a holiday book drive each Nov.-Dec. At our store alone, we collect over 2,000 books each year and proudly give them to our local First Book to be distributed to the children that need them most! :)

    Thanks for the kind words and helping promote the cause!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for bringing this organization to my attention. I'm totally on board. I love that my son loves his books and I wish other children could be exposed to books like he is. This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm coming over from the Wednesday blog hop. I love reading with my kids. Thanks for reminding us that there is always a way to help make sure other kids are enjoying this too! Sharon
    www.reallifedeals.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I love 'em all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

avandia