Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review: Confessions of a Catholic Cop, Pt 1

I'm not going to lie.  I don't read enough.  In the way of books, that is.  Wait.  Let me rephrase.  I don't read enough adult books.

I mean, I read a million children's books a day.

But I can't say, in all honesty, that I've read a real book since devouring Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love on a Mexican beach two+ years ago.  And unbeknownst to many, it was no crime novel!

So, you can understand my initial hesitation when I received the offer to review Thomas Fitzsimmons's, Confessions of a Catholic Cop: the story of a ten-year police veteran/ part-time actor who digs deep to solve an arson plot that leaves those closest to him, changed forever.

Read about the author here.

"Why me?"  I asked.  "How can I relate?  I don't read crime fiction."

(At least, I didn't read crime fiction then.  I do now!)

Needless to say though, I felt a pull to the material, to Fitzsimmons, as strange as that might sound.  And I always try to follow my gut.

To start, I'm of an Irish Catholic New York-based family (like Fitzsimmons).  And it so happens close relatives have served in the NYPD and US NAVY (like Fitzsimmons).

My Father:  Machinist's Mate 2nd Class

Basically, the similarities were too compelling for me to ignore.

Not to mention, I watch loads of whodunit shows on ID.  And I actually favor a good mystery, a suspenseful crime story on television.

So, I agreed to review his book.  Or at least, I'd give it a go...

Check back soon for the conclusion (nuts+bolts) of my review. And let's just say, I'm glad I followed my instincts on this one!

I made a truly interesting discovery...

Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I love 'em all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

avandia